Environmental Engineering as by name suggests the branch of engineering that deals with the study of environmental-related issues and challenges. The top IITs of India have now introduced an Environmental Engineering branch to work for the sustainable development of the planet and its living organisms. The branch studies the technological growth of the environment. It covers a wide variety of topics such as pollution, global warming & its effects, shortage of rainfall, acid rain, etc., and others.
IITs prepare the environment engineers to tackle all these challenges and develop devices towards the manifestation of modern environmental problems. Graduates who complete their studies in environmental engineering can work at both the private and governmental sectors in a variety of renowned companies and organizations. Some of the top Indian IITs offering courses in environmental engineering are IIT Delhi, IIT (ISM) Dhanbad, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Roorkee, IIT Madras, etc.
Environment Engineering: Courses & Rankings
Since different IITs are offering environmental engineering courses at different levels. Students can choose any of the courses best suited to them as per their requirements. The tabulation below discusses the courses offered by IITs in the environmental engineering branch along with their rankings.
All the IITs listed below offer environmental engineering courses leading to M.Tech and Ph.D. degrees. While IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur, IIT (ISM) Dhanbad, and IIT Bhubaneswar additionally offer dual degrees in environmental engineering leading to both B.Tech and M.Tech degrees after completion.
● IIT Madras: M.Tech/ PhD
● IIT Delhi: M.Tech/ PhD
● IIT Bombay: B.Tech-M.Tech/ M.Tech/ M.Sc-PhD/ PhD
● IIT Kanpur: M.Tech/ M.S. (Research)/ PhD
● IIT Kharagpur: B.Tech-M.Tech/ M.Tech-PhD/ PhD
● IIT Roorkee: M.Tech/ PhD
● IIT (ISM) Dhanbad: B.Tech/ B.Tech-M.Tech/ M.Tech/ PhD
● IIT Bhubaneswar: B.Tech-M.Tech/ M.Tech
IITs such as Delhi, Madras, and Bhubaneswar offer programs in the environmental engineering branch through their departments of civil engineering. While the other IITs listed in the above table have developed a separate department of environmental engineering. Additionally, IITs generally offer this specialization program environmental engineering in M.Tech degrees.
Environment Engineering: Eligibility and Admission Process
Admission to all the programs at IITs is based on the national-level entrance scores. Candidates seeking admission in Environmental Engineering programs and courses at IITs must qualify for the required entrance exam. For admission to the B.Tech/ B.S or dual degrees programs, IITs consider a qualifying JEE Advanced score. Whereas for M.Tech and Ph.D. admissions, a relevant GATE score is generally considered by the IITs.
In order to become eligible for the undergraduate programs at IITs, candidates must pass their 10+2 in PCM with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate. Similarly, for admission into postgraduate programs such as M.Tech or Ph.D. Candidate must graduate in environmental engineering from any recognized university or college with 60% marks in aggregate.
What after Environmental Engineering?
The continuous surprising changes occurring in the environment are creating a huge demand for environmental engineers. Environmental engineers on completion of their degrees will work with major responsibilities such as protecting our environment by managing waste materials, reducing pollution, and utilizing renewable sources of energy.
Graduates can grab various prominent job profiles after environmental engineering. Some of the job profiles are as follows.
● Air Quality Engineer
● Environmental Engineer
● Field Chemists
● Safety Design Manager
● Assistant Policy Specialist
● Wasteland Ecologist
● Waste Resource Manager
Also, there are several environmental engineering companies that hire environmental engineers. These include Nalco Water India Ltd., Paramount Ltd., Doshion Ltd., Aquatech Systems Asia Pvt Ltd., Enviro Analysts & Engineers Pvt Ltd., etc., and many more.
Environment Engineering: Average Package and Fees
The average fee structure and the average salary packages of the environmental engineering programs differ from IITs to IITs depending upon the degree level and so with their rankings and placements. The mentioned below shows the average fee structure and salary packages of the environmental engineering programs at IITs:
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Madras is INR 5-8 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 16-17 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Delhi is INR 8-9 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 11-12 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Bombay is INR 8-15 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 6-12 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Kanpur is INR 8-9 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 12-15 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Kharagpur is INR 8-10 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 13-15 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Roorkee is INR 8-11 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 10-11 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT ISM Dhanbad is INR 8-9 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 7-8 LPA.
● The approx. fee structure of IIT Bhubaneswar is INR 8-9 Lakhs and the average salary package students get here is INR 9-16 LPA.
The IIT’s degrees in environmental engineering are a great initiative for creating value-based technologies and devices and implementing them to combat environmental challenges. This will not help in the technological upgrading but will also lead towards the better improvement of the environment.